AMC has yet to reveal when season 5 of the “The Walking Dead” will premiere but one thing is for sure: It will be amazing. The show is expected — it’s not official — to return to its usual time slot on Sunday nights at 9:00 pm ET/PT. Thus far, the show has aired in October, and current theories point towards a Sunday, Oct. 12 season 5 premiere date. The first episode will pick up where the season 4 finale left off and we’ve rounded up seven exciting spoilers about the season premiere.
1. The show will return to Terminus. With most of the cast at a cannibal camp, the show will resume at Terminus. Introduced in the season 4 “The Walking Dead” finale, Gareth (played by actor Andrew J. West) is the show’s new villain. The character is a wild card since there is no exact comic book equivalent to him — although fans have drawn parallels to two separate comic book characters leading one to surmise that he is a super-villain. “I can tell you nothing about him,” said Kirkman strongly, in an interview with TVLine.
2. It’ll be ‘flippin’ cool.’ “We always come back with a bang, and we say where everyone has been,” said actress Lauren Cohan, who plays Maggie Greene. “I think what’s awesome about this one is we left the group in such turmoil at the end of Season 4, so you really are on tenterhooks to see what happens — and what happens is so flippin’ cool.”
3. It will be gross, assuming it makes it on television. “This episode is so disturbing,” tease Cohan at AMC’s “Greeting From the Set” video. “I mean some of the stuff they shot yesterday, I don’t know if it’ll make it to TV.” Actor Norman Reedus shared that sentiment when speaking with Gold Derby, stating: “We were doing Episode 1 and Andrew [Lincoln] and I were sitting next to each other and I was saying, ‘Man they’re never going to air any of this on television, this is too crazy.’ And then we were thinking about it and we we’re like, ‘We’ve said that every year and it makes it to television.’ This season is going to be pretty nuts.”
4. They’ll be escaping Terminus for DC. At some point — whether it be episode one or later — the characters will be escaping Terminus and making their way to Washington DC. According to a casting call for Season 5, Rick and the survivors will be going to Washington, D.C. “where they meet new danger and a new enemy.” Based on the casting call, it seems that many of the characters fans have seen over the years may not make it past the Season 4 finale and a whole bunch of new characters will be introduced in the new season. The casting call is consistent with the comics.
5. The episode will have a new structure. “[It is] definitely not mirroring [Season 4’s structure] completely,” said Scott Gimple to Collider. “That’s the … challenge of the show, it’s like every eight episodes is a brand new show. I will say there’s some slightly familiar structural turns, but for the most part, yeah, it’s gonna be brand new — brand new versions of the comic story.”
6. All Terminus questions will be answered. “In our premiere episode of season 5 we’re going to give a ton of answers of who the people of Terminus are, what they’re doing, why they’re doing it, what’s going on with them,” Robert Kirkman tells EW. “And by the end of that episode you’re going to have a much better understanding of what’s going on with them and why they’re so important to the show. Oh, and Daryl dies.”